Sunday, September 11, 2011

Update 9/11/11: second system ready

It's September and fall is approaching. Luckily we're in Southern California and that means we can grow fresh produce year-round.

System Progress:

Most everything is doing well. After I sprayed the cucumbers and squash plants with potassium bicarbonate, most of the powdery mildew went away. I took a peek at the carrots and they are tiny! I'm wondering if they will do better in a bed that is all hydroton, or whether they suffered from a lack of nutrients the first month or so after they were planted. I've got to do a better job of cycling the crops, and now that I have experience with gardening I will have a better idea of the space requirements, the time requirements, and the required upkeep. We have also started weighing everything we produce and I plan on using that data for a number of things.













The plants were showing signs of nutrient deficiency so I added some more iron so that should do the trick. Now that my 2nd system is finished I'm just waiting for that to finish cycling so that I can finally buy some tilapia.




Our cucumber plants finally started producing. It took about two and a half months but once they started to produce they started to produce a lot!


Armenian Cucumber


another cucumber





My tomatoes are finally starting to come along. A lot of fruit but still green at the moment. I see a few starting to turn red though!



3 comments:

  1. Aquaponics has a very low cost as compared to Aquaculture and Hydroponics.
    This is because instead of provide regular materials to the plants and animals from outside, these stuffs and generated by themselves internally and
    the waste products are also used up internallyAfter reading the last post here,
    you already know that Aquaponics is very profitable in the sense of time space and expense.
    Now, today I am gonna tell you about all the benefits Aquaponics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sapna, a 21-year-old software engineer. I live in thailand , I write subtitles for TV. I like your blog its really awesome.
    Do visit one of my blog for aquaponics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Can you tell me the filters name (trade mark..etc) which can be seen on this pic: http://i.imgur.com/ulGnE.jpg Thank You!

    ReplyDelete